Our Greenshell mussels are unique to New Zealand and prized for their large plump meat, sweet tender taste and vibrant emerald coloured shell as well as being one of the world’s most environmentally friendly protein sources. We owe a lot of this to nature so we are careful to preserve our natural gifts for future generations.
NZ operates one of the strictest quality assurance programmes for shellfish in the world.
- Environmental Code of Practice directs best industry practice to minimise potential effects on the environment
- New Zealand Greenshell mussels are recognised by Monterey Bay Seafood Watch as ‘Best Choice’. http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/detail/1422637138/mussels-new-zealand-green-off-bottom-on-bottom-worldwide-perna-canaliculus?q=mussels
- Farming them requires just mussels, seawater and Kiwi ingenuity
- As filter feeders, they extract all their required nutrients from the sea
- Sustainable farming practices are further enhanced by the Environmental Defense Fund classifications, rating New Zealand Greenshell mussels as an eco-best choice, which can be enjoyed with little ecological concerns